Week 13 Story: The Next Morning

 The Morning After


    And it was on the next morning when Owen O'Mulready waited for his master to pass by so he might report back to him about his dream. James Taafe was not long. In fact, he was earlier than usual.
    "What have you to report?" James asked for he was very curious to hear how Owen's first dream had gone.
    "What haven't I to report?" Owen said. "I thought I was halfway to America when I awoke climbing halfway up my chimney covered in soot! There was a rogue of a crane and some strange-looking sailors and, by God!, even the plants talked." Owen shook his head. "I shan't be envious of people who dream anymore."
    "It does sound like a harrowing adventure," James said. "You're sure you've no desire to dream anymore?"
    "None whatsoever!"
    James nodded and started on his way when Owen stopped him. "What is it you need Owen O'Mulready?"
    "Was it not your voice of the crane and the thresher?" Owen asked. "Was it not your face on the messenger, the cow-herd, and the sailors?"
    James laughed and said, "Ask me tomorrow."
    It was the next morning when Owen O'Mulready waited for his master to pass by so he might ask his question again. James Taafe was not long. In fact, he was earlier than usual, just like the day before. Owen asked his questions once again, and James admitted that it was indeed him.
    "How were you able to do that?" Owen asked. "I tremble in fear to ask, but are you a fairy who delights in taking the appearance of human forms to play tricks on unsuspecting people?"
    James laughed, told Owen to ask him tomorrow, and went on his way.
    It was the next morning when Owen O'Mulready waited for his master to pass by so he might ask his question again. James Taafe was not long. In fact, he was earlier than usual, just like the day before.
    "Are you to answer my question?" Owen asked.
    James said, "I'm as human as you are, Owen OMulready, but I was blessed by the fairies when I was a boy. Perhaps that is why you saw me."
    "How did you know me sleeping in the fireplace would make me have a dream?" Owen asked.
    "My blessing was to always have the answer to people's questions or troubles."
    When Owen heard this, he was astounded. "You know everything, then!"
    James shook his head. "Not everything, only the things people ask or present to me." He started on his way when Owen stopped him.
    "Will I and my wife be granted stay in your house for as long as you wish?"
    James smiled. "I need not my blessing to know the answer." And he went on his way.
    Owen again tried to stop him but figured his enigmatic master would keep the answer unto his grave. Though Owen suspected the answer to his question was, at always had been, "Yes."


Author's Note

The story I chose for mine was "The Dream of Owen O'Mulready" from the unit More Celtic Fairy Tales. The story centers around Owen O'Mulready who's never ever had a dream before. He tells this to his master James Taafe. James tells him to put out the fire in his hearth and sleep there for the night. Owen gets his first dream, and it's absolutely nuts! He wakes up halfway up the chimney when his wife Margaret wakes him up. I wanted to write a story about what came after. I was really curious about how James knew doing that would actually give Owen a dream.

Bibliography

The Dream of Owen O'Mulready from Celtic folklore in More Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Image: Achill Island, County Mayo, Connaught, Ireland. (Source: Britannica)

Comments

  1. Hi Natalie,

    I very much enjoyed this conversation between Owen and his master about how he could dream. I think that this whole concept is definitely a strange one and was not explored in other stories before. I also liked the repetitious nature of the conversations between the two everyday and then the days after. I would say that, in the beginning, I was very confused as to what was going on and it wasn't until the author's note that everything else made sense! Perhaps you should add a background or introduction as to what was the story that you will be talking about. I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Person Running This Blog

Week 07 Story: The Fate of Two Friends