Introduction to the Person Running This Blog

    Hi everyone! My name is Natalie, or Snail Mail Riot, and I run this blog for my Mythology and Folklore class.

    I'm currently in my last semester as a student at the University of Oklahoma. I'm majoring in professional writing and minoring in history. My higher education journey has been pretty wild. During my first semester of college, I attended Oklahoma Baptist University. I chose this university because of its creative writing major and proximity to home. Unfortunately, OBU wasn't a good fit for me.

    The next three semesters I spent attending St. Gregory's University. This one I chose because I swung to the opposite end of the spectrum. I had chosen OBU solely for its academics. SGU I chose for its life and found I fit in much better there, even though I wasn't happy with being relegated to an English degree instead of a writing one I wanted.

    This time, when I changed universities, it wasn't by choice. In the fall of 2018, SGU made the announcement that it was closing due to various reasons. I remember I hadn't been on campus when the news was announced. It wasn't until that night when I showed up for stage rehearsal for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe we were putting on that I learned what had happened. To say it was devastating to me at the time would be an understatement. I had just started to come out of my shell and claw my way out of a deep depressive episode when the news of the university closing seemed to pull the rug out from underneath all the progress I had made.

    Looking back, I see now it was a blessing in disguise, for me at the very least. Although I suspect it was for others as well. The college fair held by SGU led me to OU and subsequently to many blessings and wonderful experiences.

    One of those blessings is the professional writing major I'm set to receive a diploma in.

    My favorite thing about the major is, well, technically there are two things I love about it! The first is watching my writing grow and change and evolve. I've learned from so many good professors and students. I've learned how to put words on a page that will let readers into my head and the worlds I've created. The second thing I love is reading other students' works and hearing what they've written about. I've heard so many ideas I would have never thought about. Seeing others' creativity inspires my own and helps me strive to ever improve and never cease aiming higher and pushing myself farther.

    In addition to the wonderful things I've gotten to write, I've been exposed to so many books I previously wouldn't have given a second thought to. I was a voracious reader before, but PW has kept the flame alive where I believe it would've died under the stress and movement of college. My favorite book, one I recommend to anyone who asks, is Green Rider by Kristen Britain.

    Green Rider is the first book in the Green Rider series. It follows a woman named Karigan G'ladheon and takes place in the fictional kingdom of Sacoridia. There's never a lull in the action. It's one harrowing piece of action after another and before you realize it, you know how Karigan's world and the magic in it work and operate inside and out. The series' mythology does build up slowly over the series, but there's enough in there to keep you wondering and curious.

    To anyone who decides to read this series, just a warning Britain takes forever to come out with a new book. The seventh one is in the works, but I suspect it will be another year or two until it comes out. And if anyone does end up reading it, I really hope you like it!

    Outside of reading and writing, I like to bake and play with my three dogs. Every once in a while I'll take a step out of my comfort zone and try to bake something ambitious. For the most part, though, I like to stick to cookies, cupcakes, and pies. I often stress bake, so there's rarely a shortage of dessert in our house with extra to give to our neighbors.

    But I've mentioned my dogs, and I have a feeling you've been waiting to see them! Here they are!

Zeus

    I got Zeus in January of 2014 when he was a two-year-old puppy. He likes to act like a grumpy old man now, especially with the two puppies we've come to adopt in the last year, but when I walk through the door or hold him when he's sleepy or asks if he wants a cookie, I see the puppy he likes to try and hide.

Personal Photo. Zeus looking unintentionally majestic. (Source: Me)

    He's an older puppy now, and he looks scruffy in his old age. He was a rescue we got from a shelter. When we got him, he had mange, was underweight, and had short hair close to his skin. After the first month of living with us, his mange healed, his hair had exploded into a spiky mess, and he now seems to be an eternal "chonky boi" no matter how hard we try to get him down. 

    Due to my previous phone unexpectedly crashing, I no longer have any of his puppy pictures. (It still breaks my heart when I think about it.) But I am so lucky I get to keep taking pictures!



Personal photo. I interrupted his Bone Chewing Time. (Source: Me)

    His resting face tends to look on the serious side, but from experience, I know he can and will explode into a flurry of energy whenever he wills. It wasn't a few seconds after I took this picture that he got up and ran around the house. Because he's a rescue, all we know is that he was a "failed designer dog." We think he's a terrier pomeranian mix. Then again we could be way off!

Henry

    We got Henry in the late spring of 2019. He was the dog of family friends but chose my mom as his person upon their first meeting. After the family friends went through devastating health problems, they turned Henry over to us. They conceded they could no longer take care of him, and they knew he would be loved unconditionally with us. Henry is around two, but we're not totally sure as he was a rescue as well. We're also not sure what mix he is, but we believe he's a terrier mix as well.

Personal photo. Henry after laying down in his new bed and realizing he's here to stay. (Source: Me)

    Henry is a tiny little thing, even smaller than Zeus!, but he's the instigator of the three. When he wants to play, he'll whine and yip until you or the other dogs pay attention to him. If that fails, he'll stand on his back legs and hop toward you until he can pounce. It's one of the cutest things I've ever witnessed!


Personal photo. Henry starting to learn what "cookie" means. (Source: Me)

    When Henry's hair grows out, he looks a lot like a type of miniature alpaca. His hair hadn't grown and puffed out fully yet in this photo, but it's one of the better ones I have of a head-on shot of him. If he's awake, he's usually not sitting still!

Penelope

    I found Penelope in August of 2019 on the side of the road on Highway 9 on my way to OU. She was tiny (turned out only 3 months old), skinny, exhausted, and flea-infested. When I ditched school to pick her up and bring her to the vet, I found out that she was days away from dying of worms. The next few weeks were nerve-wracking as my parents and I nursed her back to health and introduced her to Henry and Zeus. 
    Over the course of this past year, she has grown into a big beautiful puppy who loves to play and receive belly rubs and keep guard over you while you sleep.


Personal photo. Penelope sleeping after running around the backyard. (Source: Me)

    Penelope likes to lay on her back when she sleeps. We think it makes her hips feel better. She's a Great Pyrenees and Anatolian shepherd mix (according to the vet). Her coat is so fluffy and soft! She'll bend and curl all sorts of ways that you think would hurt, but she honestly seems so comfortable even though sometimes she looks like she's twisted into a pretzel.


Personal photo. Penelope posing for the camera. (Source: Me)

    Penelope is one of the sweetest, most gentle dogs I've ever known or had the pleasure of living with. She's one of the three best dogs in the world. At first, she was so meek deer in the backyard scared her, but over time, she's learned to at least not fear the squirrel that steals seed from the birdfeeder or the toads and frogs that hang around the back porch.

Comments

  1. Hi Natalie! I think it is always so cool to hear about peoples stories and be able to see that even when things don't seem to be going the way we want or expect that they are happening for a reason and that all things work out in the end. I also love dogs! At my parents home we have two shorkies that are 5 year old brothers and my brothers springer doodle. I also recently got my own gooldendoodle and am already in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great major-minor combination, Natalie! I'm sure that means you do a LOT of writing but since I tend to equate writing and learning, that means you are learning a lot too! The PW major is one of my favorite things about OU... my life probably would have turned out totally different if there had been a major like that at my school back in the day! Hopefully this class can be a low-key laid-back space for writing, less intense than a PW class, and more just for fun and experimenting to see what happens when you play around with an idea. And yay for all the adorable dog pictures: see the snoozing Penelope makes me want to go take a nap right now. Ahhhh... the dog's life! Dogs and cats both set very good examples for us of the power of napping! And napping is very good for writers too... and for speculative fiction, you can count dreaming as research! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie!
    Firstly, I find it really kind of funny that not only do I run into a fellow Professional Writing major, you happen to have the same minor as me as well! (I was originally a Pscyh minor, but realized I liked my History classes better than my Psych options, so I made the switch last semester)
    I have similar views about the degree, you really do just learn so much, and getting to see the things other people make is always really cool.
    Also, I love the dark theme you have going on with your blog, it's really nice! (I am definitely not biased whatsoever)
    Your dogs are super cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalie!
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I loved seeing the pictures you have posted of your dogs, they are so cute! I am an advertising major so we are both in Gaylord (which is the best place to be);). I am so happy that you transferred to OU. I am also glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time at OU after transferring. I have a dog as well, his name is Tucker and he is an Australian Shepherd. So nice to read about you. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Natalie!
    Congrats on being in your last semester at OU. That is awesome that you are a creative writing major. I wish I was a better writing but I know that with this class it will improve. Also, your dogs are so cute! I love how you have incorporated pictures with the post. I think thats awesome you adopted them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natalie!
    How exciting that you're graduating this semester! I'm graduating in the spring. I can't wait. I love that you switched schools because you realized that it wasn't a good fit for you. Sorry, that your second choice didn't work out but glad that it all turned out good! Your dogs are so cute! I have two dogs. They're both chihuahuas, and they are super feisty. I feel bad for my neighbors because my chihuahuas love to yap and yap all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Natalie!

    I'm sorry that your undergraduate experience has been rocky, but glad that you have enjoyed OU and are ready to graduate with a major you are passionate in! It must've been hard to endure all that change; you sound like a really resilient person for getting through all of it. Your dogs are literally the cutest things on the planet! I almost wish this class had zoom meetings so I could see videos of them haha. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natalie! First off, loovveeee your name!! (Haha sorry I think I'm funny) But secondly, I'm also a lover of writing! I actually have a dream of becoming a famous author one day! I was so close to being a professional writing major but changed to public relations at the last minute. (Gaylord all the way am I right?) I really enjoyed reading about your journey! I'm actually from Moore Oklahoma and I remember when SGU closed because a friend of mine played soccer their, It was not an easy thing to deal with so I'm so sorry that you had to as well! But I'm so happy you're at OU now! I look forward to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Natalie!

    It's great to hear that you've had wonderful experiences at OU and are enjoying your time here. I know someone who is also majoring in PW and is set to graduate this fall. She tells me all about writing novel(s) and novelas and there's so much writing/reading due in short time (who would've thought there would so much writing with this major?? whaaattt). I like to bake sometimes, too, mostly because I love eating sweets and desserts. Would you ever consider baking and selling as a hobby/side job? We need pie shops in Norman!! And cupcakes! Your dogs are so cute; I am laughing at Henry's face in the second photo of him. Thank you for rescuing them! It was nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natalie!
    I'm sorry to hear about your rough start to college. Mine wasn't ideal or perfect either so I definitely understand the uphill climb you had to do to get yourself back to "normal". It's not fun! I also love reading stories written by majors similar to yours. Your stories always turn out so well and I think it's so cool that you love writing so much that you want to make a career out of it. I'm definitely not a writer, I think of myself as pretty creative but nothing special when it comes to putting it all together. THANK YOU for sharing dogs pictures, it made my morning! Penelope seems like such a sweet angel, I can't imagine who would ever abandoned her (those people make me angry) but I'm so glad she found a loving home with you! What a happy ending for Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Natalie! As an avid dog lover, I am so in love with each picture you posted. I cannot wait to have my own space that a dog can easily live in, but alas I believe that is not in the near future. I agree with you about your major. I am a psychology major (which is not anywhere near the same), but I think that it is super cool to hear other people's experiences and how they choose to shape it into their work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Natalie, I think your choice in majors is pretty cool, like it fits very well! I'm actually a History major, and I wouldn't have minded minoring in professional writing, but I already suffer with papers for History. So, definitely kudos to you for being able to manage that! Also, your dogs are super cute and seeing all these animal pictures is just continuing to make me jealous because I want a dog of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Natalie, I'm sorry you have had to move around so much for your college years, but I
    m glad you've made your way to OU and found a program that you really like. Green rider sounds really cool, maybe it could be a way for me to get back into reading again. All your dogs are so lucky to have you! I'm sure they are all thankful for you. Give them some pets from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Natalie,
    I am glad you have been able to make OU home! Everything works out for a reason and I hope OU is able to take your dreams to the next level. This class sounds like it will be a perfect fit for you! I look forward to reading through some of your work during this semester together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Natalie!

    Your dogs are adorable! I'm also sorry that you've had to switch around schools so much, but I'm glad that you've ended up in a place where you want to be. I will have to read "Green Rider" since I'm always on the lookout for something new to read. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite thing to bake?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Natalie!! Let me start by saying that I am happy you are at OU, even though you had a long college journey. Also, thank you for suggesting "Green Rider." I have not heard of that series before, but I am always looking for a new series to get into. Please share any other suggestions you have!! Additionally, I love to bake as well and your dogs are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Natalie,
    I also like dogs, and your dogs are just lovely and cute! Although I do not have a dog yet, I am sure about that I would like to stay with animals in my daily life. In the future I think I will adopt one, any recommendation? Also, you majority is really cool. I even have not heard there is a major called professional writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gooooosh. I had all these points I wanted to bring up but then got distracted by DOGS. Your trio is absolutely adorable. My fav has to be Zeus. His grumpy, bone interrupted face won me over. I'm curious -- what part did you play in " The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?" Also, what genres do you enjoy writing the most? Any future book ideas? Sounds like life kept throwing pitfalls in your way but you managed to keep going strong. It was an unconventional education path but I'm glad you still ended up where you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Natalie!
    First of all, thank you for sharing your OU story! It sounds like it's been a crazy ride, but I'm glad it brought you to a place that can support your goals and that makes you happy. I got SO distracted by the dogs in your post - I LOVE them!! They're also so cute and they look so cuddly and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Natalie!
    Thank you for sharing your OU story, it sounds like a wild ride, but you're so close to the end! I am also finishing up my last year, and I had some major changes so even though I didn't change schools like you, I understand how hard it is to change.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was not prepared for the number of dogs, but I am also not upset at it! And phew have you had a wild ride in terms of college institutions! That would stress me out so much, and I would probably also stress bake so maybe we're similar in that way! I just made chocolate banana bread and my apartment smells like happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Natalie,

    Wow, reading the first parts of your introduction, I was very enthralled by the adventure that you took all the way to ending up here at OU. I guess it's true when they say, "one door closes, and another will open." I guess you can take that both figuratively and metaphorically! We are absolutely glad to have you here at the University of Oklahoma. Also, like some of the people above me, I was not prepared for how many of the doggies that you were going to incorporate in your post. This has made my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a story Natalie!
    I've never thought about a college closing down. I guess that really does happen, but I'm glad that it lead you on your path. I've taken a couple of class in the writing department and all of the professors that've I had were amazing. It sounds like you're enjoying it, which is great. I'm so excited to read some of your stories. Also, I love your dog pictures. They look like they have so many different personalities just from the pictures. All adorable though:)
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Natalie, I'm sorry you had to deal with so much with the different university's. I am glad you like OU though. I read your story before I read your intro and wow, you are a GREAT writer. That is so cool that you are majoring in professional writing. I wonder what kind of writing you are interested in pursing professionally. I can't wait to read whatever you come up with :). Your dogs are ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Natalie, it’s nice to meet you! It sounds like you’ve had quite the college experience! I am in the same boat. I transferred over from Texas Tech my freshman year, so I know what it’s like. I also like your dogs. I have a dachshund named Henry, so I found it funny that you have a dog named Henry too! It was nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Natalie,
    It is so good to finally meet you and write on your post. Wow you have been through a lot with college and the change that comes with it, but I am so happy you found a home here at OU! I have many friends who are professional writing majors and they love it so I hope have felt the same way. You have such cute dogs and I throughly enjoyed every single picture you added! Definitely a day brightener! Hope this semester is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Natalie,

    Wow, reading the first parts of your introduction, I was very enthralled by the adventure that you took all the way to ending up here at OU. I guess it's true when they say, "one door closes, and another will open." I guess you can take that both figuratively and metaphorically! We are absolutely glad to have you here at the University of Oklahoma. Also, like some of the people above me, I was not prepared for how many of the doggies that you were going to incorporate in your post. This has made my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Natalie! While it isn't great that you had such a hard time finding the final home for your academic career, I'm glad you ended up happy at OU. I'm sure this class has been a blast for you as a writing major. There are so many stories to read and write. I hope everything works out for you post graduation. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, Natalie!

    It's nice to meet you! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us! I really enjoy hearing about other people's lives and what it took them to end up here with me. I am really glad that you are liking OU, I am also a transfer student so I know how it feels to be here from a university that wasn't a great fit. I am so thankful that you included images of your pets and personal details about all of them, I am an animal lover myself so I think we would get along great! I am looking forward to reading your works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Natalie,

    That's definitely been quite an adventure that you've had on the way to being here at the University of Oklahoma! Personally, I haven't had a similar experience, but it's crazy to think about the variety of stories that exist from a myriad of people that have come to OU from outside of Oklahoma. And some, from multitude of schools as transfers as well! Also, another inclusion that I thought was perfect was the inclusion of the dogs! I absolutely love them. I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 07 Story: The Fate of Two Friends