Week 02 Story: Åtta the Troll's Proposal

 Åtta the Troll's Proposal

    On the eighth day of the eighth month, Undra and her father and her mother climbed the tallest mountain. They stopped only when they had reached the summit at the eighth hour in the morning. They had not yet caught their breath when the ground shook beneath their feet, and the sky trembled above their heads.



    Undra's parents stepped back in fear. Undra stood where she was. She refused to shake from the fear that struck her heart. From the mist emerged Åtta, the youngest but most vile of the trolls.

    His hair was stained the darkest red from his victims. His noisome body was wrapped in a cloak of moss, firs, and pines. Åtta's sunken pitch eyes reflected no light. He stood eight leagues over the summit and had to stoop to see Undra.
    
    "Of the question I have asked your eight sisters before you, Fru Undra, you may answer only yes or no: Will you marry me?"

    Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta huffed and puffed. "I will give you the twelve swiftest horses to have seen the sun. They will carry you wherever your will directs them without growing tired. Fru Undra, will you marry me?"

    Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta grumbled and growled. "I will give you a sparkling guilded necklace with the clearest of the rare jewels. They will shine for you brighter than the sun. Fru Undra, will you marry me?"

    Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta gnashed his teeth and cursed. "I will give you ten golden rings. Their jingle is lovelier than any birdsong. Fru Undra, will you marry me?"

    Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta shook and stomped. "I will give you the most fragrant perfume. It smells sweeter than any flower which grows from the land or decorates the bush. Fru Undra, will you marry me?"

    Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta howled, growing more and more frustrated. He offered Undra four more gifts: Four of the finest silk dresses which were softer than a hare's hide; A pair of the best shoes so she could walk anywhere she desired and not fall or slip; Sixteen sets of dinnerware laden with gold and silver that could not tarnish; A soft-bristled brush that would leave her hair smoother and lighter than moonlight.

    To each gift and offer of marriage, Undra replied, "No."

    Åtta grew so angered that he demanded Undra tell him what gift she wished for that would make her agree.

    Undra replied, "The only gift I would gladly receive would be to have my eight sisters back. Can you gift them to me?"

    Åtta ripped at his hair and tore at his cloak. "No!" he howled, knowing he had eaten them for their refusals of his proposal of marriage.

    Undra replied, "Then I will not marry you."

    Åtta wailed and shrieked. "Tomorrow," he cried. "Tomorrow I will return and then you, too, I shall eat! And if you are not here, I shall eat all who populate this land and those beyond!"

    The troll stomped away. His curses blackened the sky and cracked the earth. Undra's parents cried and held her tightly. It was the last time they believed they would ever see her.

    For who could possibly slay Åtta the Troll?




Author's Note: The story I started with was The Eight-Forked Serpent. I took the story and set in                                     Sweden. I changed Kushinada-hime into Undra (meaning wonder as the Japanese name                          means Woundrous-Fair Princess). Yamata-no-Orochi was changed into a troll and his                              new name, Åtta, means eight since it didn't fit to give him eight heads or tails. Susa-                                no-wo makes an alluded appearance as the one to be able to slay Åtta.

Bibliography: The Eight-Forked Serpent of Koshi from Japanese folklore by E. W. Champney and F.                            Champney
                        Misty Snowy Mountain. Aston Yao. (Source: Unsplash)
                        Silhouette. Snapwire (Source: Pexels)

Comments

  1. I love the approach you took on this story. I kept me wanting to read more. I was very interesting. I loved how the Undra stuck strong to her decision in not wanting to marry him and only would under one condition. But I think its awesome how at the end the earth was created. Its such a cool approach to how it was created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! I really enjoyed this retelling! I loved the character of Undra, she stood firm no matter what the troll offered her and refused to marry him. I like that when he demanded Undra to tell him what gift she wished to make her finally agree was her sisters that he had already killed. I pictured her being all sassy while saying it, basically being like "you done already messed up bro". Great job Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie,
    I think your retelling of this story was really unique! I liked reading your author's note and how you connected the old story with the new and it made me want to read the original. Your descriptions of the gifts that the troll was offering were really great and I couldn't wait to see what he offered next. I think your story was really smooth and I wish there was more to read! I wonder how her 8 sisters handled the troll? If they were as strong willed as Undra or were they scared? I wish there could be someway for Undra to save herself and also find her sisters. Maybe he didn't end up eating them? Maybe he kept them and many others as prisoners because he's lonely? I feel like there could be a way to get a happy ending if that's what you're into! I love a happy ending but I know not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Person Running This Blog

Week 07 Story: The Fate of Two Friends