Storybook Plan

 


House in Misty Woods. (Source: Wallpaper Flare)

    For my story about the evil Baba Yaga triplet, I'll be using Project Gutenberg. For the morally gray Baba Yaga triplet, I'll be using Russian Folk-Tales. For the good Baba Yaga, I'll be using Wikisource — Márya Moryévna
    I'm thinking about doing a fourth story centered on one of Baba Yaga's servants (day, sun, and night). If I do that, I'll be using Russian Folk-Tales again.
    Aside from the potential fourth story which will be from a servant's perspective, all the stories will be from the hero's POV. It's not something I wanted to change because I feel it would be the best way to tell the story. I'm also thinking of keeping them in the past because I want to put signs up that all three heroes just missed meeting each other by like half an hour. I thought that would be a nice humorous tie-in, since the Baba Yaga is supposed to be hard to find, and here are three heroes who find all of them in a single day!
    If I go forward with the fourth story, I think I'll center it on the triplet Baba Yagas splitting up to live by themselves and using their servants to create the three-pronged road.
    The left road will lead to the evil Baba Yaga. The middle road will lead to the morally gray Baba Yaga, and the right road will lead to the good Baba Yaga.
    What I want to know is Baba Yaga's behavior and the stories surrounding her really well. I want to be able to recite them with detail from memory and be able to "translate" them into my own words. For the people who read my stories, I just want them to have fun. I want them to have fun with the world and characters I've created. Them enjoying the ride is my main goal.
    The main idea I would like to explore is the often conflicting sides of a folktale/mythological figure. It's often the same with real people. There's one story from one person and another story from someone else and they could depict seemingly two different people. I'm exploring that and somewhat the opposite, where the same person really is three different people mistaken for one. It's a concept that's always interested me, how people are held in the minds of others based on a few interactions. The perception could be completely off, or spot on, but the person held in the mind of others is often always different than how the person perceives themselves. I think it's all very fascinating!

Comments

  1. Hi, I am not too familiar with Baba Yaga's origin or even it's story. The only time I had heard of it was when it was used for comic relief in the Ant Man film. But I am intrigued. Most of the Russian folklore I can reference is vampires (lol). I hope to read your storybook when it's complete!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Person Running This Blog

Week 07 Story: The Fate of Two Friends